The Board of Management understands that not all families have enough digital devices to allow all children access online learning. Therefore, the Board has drafted this policy to allow for the loaning of laptops to families where lack of digital devices may hold back a child’s ability to access online classes.
Unfortunately, we have a limited number of devices that we can offer on loan to families. Devices will be allocated to families based on need, according to the following categories:
- Families with no device at all
- Families with only smartphones
- Where the only devices in the household are needed for parents working or for siblings studying for second-level exams
- Families where the proportion of people to devices is low e.g. 6 in the house and only 2 devices
Families borrowing a school device will be asked to sign our Distance Learning – Digital Device Acceptable Use Agreement. Please read this agreement before applying to borrow a device.
Home Use of School-owned Equipment
This agreement is set out to ensure the safe keeping and handling of school-owned digital devices when in the care of the pupil in case of a school closure.
Terms and Conditions:
- The laptop (or any other approved digital device)remains the property of Scoil Chaitríona Baggot Street.
- The laptop (or any other approved assistive technology/equipment)will be used solely by the designated pupil or pupils in the same family and will not be used by or transferred to a third party.
- The parent will remind and teach their child to take due care of the laptop (or any other approved assistive technology/equipment) at all times when handling, transporting and using the laptop/equipment.
- It is to be kept in the family home or living space.
- It is only to be used for school work set by the class teacher and scheduled online classes.
- If the pupil is working from another place (i.e. family member’s home or child-minder’s place), the adult responsible for the child assumes responsibility for the laptop.
- It is not to be left in plain view in an unattended or unsecured vehicle but kept out of sight in the locked boot.
- All laptop leads must be unplugged from sockets and all accessories are to be stored safely and securely. in the laptop case, with the laptop when work is complete.
- It is not to be interfered with, tampered with or altered by a third party.
- The following is deemed by the school as beingcompletely unacceptable and will result in a review of the loan agreement:
- Accessing, transmitting or receiving obscene or pornographic material
- Engaging in cyber cheating or plagiarism (taking material created by others and presenting it as if it were one’s own)
- Engaging in cyber bullying
- Downloading or loading software or applications that are not approved by the school
- The laptop will be used solely to assist with typing skills, completion of homework assignments and other school related activities. Only school approved software packages/applications may be used.
- The laptop must be presented to the pupil’s class teacher, in good working order, when the pupil can return to school. The pupil and parent must take reasonable care to avoid damage or loss.
- Use of the laptop, including all internet usage, will be supervised by a parent and will be of an appropriate nature to minimise pupil’s exposure to inappropriate material.
- The school will make regular checks to update the laptop and to check for inappropriate use.
- The laptop will be used lawfully and in accordance with the school’s Acceptable Use Policy regarding the ethical use of technology, use of legal software, use of the Internet and the protection of personal data. The parent shall agree to review and adhere to the current School Acceptable Use Policy, specifically where this policy relates to the safe and appropriate use of approved IT equipment such as laptops.
- The laptop will be kept in good working order. All laptop faults, defects or malfunctions while in the care of the pupil are to be reported to the principal or Class Teacher who will inform the teacher with responsibility for the servicing and upkeep of the laptop.
- Any repairs necessary due to non-accidental damage caused to the laptop while in the care of the pupil will be arranged by the school and paid for by the parent of the pupil.
- The laptop will not be sold, assigned, transferred or otherwise disposed of.
- Any laptop markings, tags or plates or engravings will not be removed, concealed or altered. The laptop must not be marked in any way that might reduce the value of the laptop.
- If the laptop is lost, stolen or damaged the parent will advise the Principal and the Gardaí as soon as possible orally and in writing including all relevant details, record of events etc.
- Due to current software licensing arrangements covering home use, the laptop package cannot be used for any commercial purpose.
- If any of these terms or conditions are breached, the school Board of Management may at any time revoke this arrangement and ask for the laptop to be returned to the school immediately.
Device Type, Make and Serial Number: _____________________________________________________________
I confirm that I accept responsibility for taking into my possession a laptop which is the property of Scoil Chaitríona Baggot Street (Roll Number: 19896g) for the agreed dates. I confirm that I have read, fully understand and accept the Terms and Conditions in this agreement and other relevant policies as are determined by Scoil Chaitríona Baggot Street.
Name of Pupil: _______________________ Class: ___________
Signature of Pupil: _____________________________________________
Name of Parent/Guardian (BLOCK CAPITALS): ______________________________________
Signature of Parent/Guardian: _____________________________ Date:______________
Contact Numbers: ___________________________
Signature of Principal: __________________________________ Date: __________________